You’ve probably already heard that periodontal (gum) disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults. To help you keep your permanent teeth we take periodontal disease seriously. It is an inflammatory (swelling) condition caused by bacterial infection that affects the supportive gum tissues surrounding the tooth. It can cause the gums to recede from the teeth and it can infect the bones supporting your teeth. This is what causes the tooth loss.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do your teeth and gums bleed during brushing and flossing?
- Do you have teeth that feel loose?
- Do your teeth look longer than they used to?
- Have you had previous gum problems?
- Does anyone in your family have periodontal disease?
- Do you suffer from other health conditions such as heart disease, high stress, diabetes, or osteoporosis?
When you come in for your 6-month check up we always look for signs of periodontal disease. But if you or a loved one answers yes to any of these questions, please call us so we can help you heal.